Monday, November 26, 2007

My Paper

I'm planning to base my paper around both dark comedy and satire, with emphasis on how the Coen brothers have influenced both. The paper will focus more on earlier movies such as The Hudsucker Proxy, Fargo, and possibly The Big Lebowski and Intolerable Cruelty as well... And if I have time Raising Arizona. I know that I have been influenced heavily by their work, and I'm guessing that I am not the only one, especially since another person from class had shared the same topic idea as well.
My goal will be first be to explore how important both their creative themes (kidnapping, larson) can be when instilled within the right setting, and dialogue. As IMDB claims that the duo is notorious for making their cast recite each line strictly in order with the script. This tells me that if nothing else, the brothers certainly know how to place themselves in the shoes of anybody they choose, as many of their movies go on to collect nominations, and awards, many times over. As for setting, Films such as Fargo and Hudsucker proxy really nail each movie's setting to a satire crucifix, creating characters so perfect that nobody could ever forget. Characters such as Marge from Fargo, and Amy Archer, the speed talking woman from The Hudsucker Proxy, just to name a few. And the impact each movie made on the way we view dark comedy in general, while specifically focusing on their very dark themes. Again, those generally being Kidnapping, Death, and Larson, and sometimes all three.
I am still deciding whether or not to include the duo's camera work as well. As I find it almost equally important, but then again they generally tend to employ some of the best cinematographers in the country. Those being Roger Deakins and Barry Sonnenfeld. With Sonnenfeld of course going on to do the Addams Family. Another topic I quasi-considered exploring.

1 comment:

Kristian said...

I noticed that Waldo Library has 5 or 6 books on the Coen Brothers. They may even have scripts of the films that you can use as sources.